Wrongful Death Settlement

$1,050,000.00 Settlement in Wrongful Death of Child in Rental Property without Smoke Detectors.

Our clients had rented a row home in Baltimore City, and lived there with their 3-year-old son. Late one evening a fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom where their son was sleeping. The parents were downstairs in the living room. Despite heroic efforts by the father, the fire and smoke was so intense that the son could not be rescued. The boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning from smoke inhalation.
Baltimore City Fire Department investigators examined the fire scene, and found no evidence that the property had any smoke alarms (smoke detectors) anywhere in the property. Both Maryland state law, and the Baltimore City Code, required landlords to install smoke alarms in rental properties.
We retained a fire/smoke alarm expert, and a medical expert with extensive experience in carbon monoxide poisoning. Our fire expert reached the opinion that if the rental property had smoke alarms installed as required by law, they would have activated and warned the parents in sufficient time to save their son. The medical expert concluded that carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death.
The wrongful death claims settled for $1,050,000.00.
Note – Every case is different. Our past record is no assurance that we will be successful in reaching a similar, or favorable, result in any future case.

ADDRESS :

  • Jonathan Scott Smith 10490 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 200 ,Columbia, MD 21044-4960

  • Call for consultation 410-740-0101