In the aftermath of an accidental or wrongful death in Maryland, qualified survivors may seek damages for certain losses. As we indicated in an earlier blog, the approach in Maryland involves two separate claims—a survival claim and a wrongful death lawsuit. The survival claim seeks damages for any pain and suffering the deceased experienced as a result of the accident, but before death. It also allows the estate to recover compensation for burial and funeral expenses. The wrongful death action seeks compensation for lost support, as well as the loss of companionship and consortium. Maryland caps non-economic damages at $2 million.
Jonathan Scott Smith, a Maryland Super Lawyer, has protected the rights of personal injury victims across the state of Maryland for over three decades. He knows the impact a personal injury can have on every part of your life, and will fight to get full and fair compensation for all your losses. An experienced trial attorney, he has the skill, knowledge, experience and resources to successfully argue your claim in court.
- Maryland Super Lawyer .
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars — the highest client reviews possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale – less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell).
- “10 Best Attorneys in the State of Maryland in Client Satisfaction,” American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (Every year since 1988).
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Awarded to fewer than 1% of U.S. Attorneys who have Obtained Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts, Awards and Settlements).
These include the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
Top-Rated Baltimore, MD Premises Liability Injury Lawyer
We offer comprehensive legal counsel to anyone who has suffered a needless injury because of the carelessness or negligence of others. Send us an e-mail or call us at (410) 441-5054 to schedule an appointment. We represent slip and fall injury victims in Howard County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Frederick County, Prince Georges County and Montgomery County in Maryland.