Top-Rated Personal Injury Attorney Columbia MD Howard County MD
Points of Distinction
- Over 40 Years of Courtroom Experience
- Obtained Some of the Highest Verdicts in Howard County Personal Injury Cases
- Successfully Handled Wide Variety of Personal Injury Cases
- Highest Ratings for Legal Ability and Professional Ethics
Mr. Smith’s extensive trial experience — and track record of successful Past Results — has earned him the recognition of his peers and clients:
- Maryland Super Lawyer.
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “10.0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars — the highest client review possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale – less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell).
- Baltimore’s Top-Rated Lawyers of 2015 by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2015).
- Top-Rated Lawyer in Medical Malpractice Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2015)
- “10 Best Attorneys in the State of Maryland in Client Satisfaction,” American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- Washington DC and Baltimore’s Top-Rated Lawyers (Legal Leaders Magazine)(2014).
- Top Attorneys in Maryland (American Registry)(2013).
- Top-Rated Lawyer by The American Lawyer Magazine and Martindale-Hubbell (2013, 2012).
- Top-Rated Lawyer in Personal Injury Law by The American Lawyer Magazine and Martindale-Hubbell (2013).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (Every year since 1988).
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Awarded to fewer than 1% of U.S. Attorneys who have Obtained Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts, Awards and Settlements).
These include the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
Private Law Practice
Jonathan Scott Smith has been in private law practice since 1984. Since that time, he has handled successfully a wide variety of personal injury cases in Maryland district courts and circuit courts. He has tried personal injury cases to verdict, including numerous civil jury trials. Mr. Smith has handled a full range of personal injury cases, including an extensive number of car accidents; medical malpractice; nursing home injuries; slip and falls; electrical explosions; defective products; and intentional wrongdoing such as physical assaults, sexual assaults, defamation, etc.
Former Criminal Prosecutor
Jonathan Scott Smith was employed as a prosecutor (Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore County) from 1980 to 1984. He prepared and prosecuted thousands of felony and misdemeanor criminal cases. This included an extensive number of jury and non-jury trials in Maryland district courts and circuit courts.
As a prosecutor in the circuit court, Mr. Smith prepared and tried a wide range of criminal cases. He was responsible for handling all aspects of criminal cases. Mr. Smith personally handled an extensive number of criminal jury trials. The charges included murder (including death penalty), rapes and other sexual offenses, armed robberies, burglaries, kidnappings, extortion, embezzlement, thefts, assaults, and drug offenses. He tried numerous non-jury trials as well. Mr. Smith prosecuted cases involving mandatory sentences and death penalty proceedings, and handled felony charge screenings; grand jury proceedings; and preliminary hearings.
As a prosecutor in the district court, Mr. Smith handled all aspects of thousands of cases until their conclusion, including an extensive number of non-jury trials. The cases included drunk driving and other serious traffic cases, thefts, assaults, drug possession, handgun charges, violation of probation hearings, and bail hearings.
A Successful, Experienced Problem Solver
Attorney Jonathan Scott Smith represents clients in wrongful death cases and personal injury cases involving bodily injuries in auto accidents, truck wrecks, and motorcycle wrecks on the Baltimore Beltway, Washington Beltway, MD 295, Baltimore Washington Parkway, B-W Parkway, I-695, I-495, Interstate 95 in Maryland, I-70, Maryland Route 32, U.S. Route 29, Baltimore National Pike, Route 40, I-83 and serious injury accidents throughout Maryland.
Lawyer Smith also provides experienced legal representation for clients in Baltimore, Columbia, MD, Clarksville, Sykesville, Fulton, Elkridge, Frederick, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Laurel, Westminster, Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Prince Georges (Prince George) County, Howard County and Montgomery County, MD.