Top-Rated Maryland Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Injuries from medical malpractice can be some of the most difficult to understand, and difficult to prove. Medical care is complex and people who are already ill or injured may respond differently to treatment. A bad outcome from medical treatment does not necessarily mean that a doctor was negligent.
So What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice attorney Jonathan Scott Smith has been helping injured people for more than 40 years. He has handled many medical malpractice cases and has access to the medical experts needed to identify negligence in order to prove a case. He represents clients — and families — who have lost a loved one to premature death – throughout the state of Maryland.
Mr. Smith’s extensive trial experience and track record of successful Past Results has earned him the recognition of his peers and clients:
- Maryland Super Lawyer
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland by Super Lawyers (2014)
- “10.0 Superb” as a litigation attorney by AVVO.
- “Client’s Choice Award” by AVVO, based on average client reviews of 5 stars the highest client review possible.
- Client Distinction Award (Client Review Rating of 4.5 or higher on 5.0 scale less than 4% of 900,000+ attorneys listed by Martindale-Hubbell).
- “10 Best Attorneys in the State of Maryland in Client Satisfaction,” American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers (by invitation only and limited to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state).
- “AV-Preeminent™*” Highest Peer Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory (every year since 1988).
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum (Awarded to fewer than 1% of U.S. Attorneys who have Obtained Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts, Awards and Settlements).
- These include the highest ratings possible for legal skill, ethical practice, a lawyer’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition.
If you suspect that you, your child, or a member of your family suffered a serious injury or a worsened quality of life because of medical negligence, contact our Columbia law office to speak with Mr. Smith. He can review your case and advise you of your options.
Mr. Smith has many years of experience working with medical experts, medical records, and medical data. He has obtained some of the highest personal injury verdicts and settlements in his area. He fights hard for his clients. That’s why clients think so highly of him.
Until we investigate your case, we cannot know for sure that negligence was a factor. Doctors, hospitals, and healthcare providers seldom admit their mistakes. But these are a few of the more common problems that could signal medical negligence:
- Misdiagnoses, delayed diagnoses, or failure to diagnose illnesses, including cancer
- Failing to order proper tests or errors in reading test results such as misreading x-rays, CT scans, or MRIs
- Surgical errors, including anesthesia errors
- Medication errors
- Emergency room errors, failure to provide prompt treatment, and sending patients home prematurely
- Failure to diagnose a heart attack or stroke
- Failing to monitor a patient’s condition
- Problems in childbirth leading to birth injuries, including delayed C-section, failure to identify breech birth, failure to monitor fetal heart rate or maternal condition
- Birth injuries such as brain damage, Erb’s palsy, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and shoulder dystocia
- Problems before childbirth, such as failing to properly monitor the mother’s medical condition, to treat gestational diabetes, or to treat high blood pressure
- Death of a mother or a child
If your loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice or nursing negligence, you have the right to seek compensation. Contact injury attorney Jonathan Scott Smith or call (410) 441-5054 to schedule a consultation.
Attorney Jonathan Scott Smith represents clients in personal injury, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and negligence, throughout Maryland, including the cities of Columbia, Clarksville, Sykesville, Fulton, Elkridge, Frederick, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Laurel, Westminster, and Baltimore. Lawyer Smith also provides experienced legal representation for clients in Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Prince Georges (Prince George) County, Howard County and Montgomery County, MD.
"I just wanted to express my deep appreciation for the representation that you and your staff provided for me."- Alex K.
"Your trial skills are outstanding. I went to court with confidence."- Ruth P.
"Gratitude just doesn’t seem to express the depth of what I feel. I’ve felt like a baby bird that had been hurled from its nest in the midst of a hurricane."- Denise B.
"After all is said and done, we feel truly blessed to have found such an experienced, knowledgeable and caring attorney to entrust our welfare to."- B. A. J.
- Back Spinal Cord Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Car Accidents
- Car Accidents Caused By Drunk Driver
- Failure To Diagnose/Misdiagnosis
- Fatal Car Accident
- Head-On Collisions
- Medical Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice/Surgical Errors
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Rear-End Collisions
- Slip/Trip and Fall
- Smoke Alarm
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Millions Recovered for Injured Victims
Over 40 Years of Courtroom Experience
Support Every Step of the Way
Highly Rated for Legal Ability & Ethics